Enforcement of Maximum Contaminant Levels in EU Member States
In order to enforce contaminant legislation in a harmonized way throughout the EU, sampling methods and methods of analysis have been established for the official controls of the contaminants levels. In the regulations, the methods of sampling, the sample preparation and the performance criteria for the methods of analysis are prescribed.
Sampling & Analysis Methods for Official Controls
- Nitrates: Commission Regulation (EC) No 1882/2006
- Mycotoxins (Aflatoxins, Ochratoxin A, Patulin, Fusarium toxins, T-2 and HT-2): Commission Regulation (EC) No 401/2006
- Dioxins: Commission Regulation (EU) No 589/2014
- Heavy metals, Tin, 3-MCPD and PAH (benzo(a)pyrene): Commission Regulation (EC) No 333/2007
- Erucid Acid: Commission Regulation (EU) 2015/705
Specifically for the enforcement of aflatoxin legislation, the Commission has developed guidance documents to further clarify and implement the legislation. This document is a living document and is occasionally updated based on discussions on practical situations between the Commission and the Member State enforcement authorities.
“GUIDANCE DOCUMENT FOR COMPETENT AUTHORITIES FOR THE CONTROL OF COMPLIANCE WITH EU LEGISLATION ON AFLATOXINS” (European Commission Guidance Document – November 2010)
For further information see also http://ec.europa.eu/food/safety/chemical_safety/contaminants/sampling_analysis/index_en.htm.